The City Clerk Department is committed to the highest standard of customer service for the City of Orinda and its residents by providing access to public information, disseminating and preserving of public records, conducting elections in an impartial manner and acting as a link for the transparent exchange of information between residents and their local government.
Statement of Interest to ServeIf you are an Orinda resident interested in serving on a committee or commission, print the Statement of Interest Form (PDF) and mail, e-mail, or drop off to the City Clerk, Sheri Smith.
DutiesAs the liaison and primary point of contact for the public and staff regarding the actions of the City Council, the City Clerk is responsible for maintaining the official records of the City. The City Clerk also:
- Administers local elections
- Prepares agendas for public meetings of the City Council
- Records the actions the City Council takes
- Ensures that the meetings are conducted in accordance with the Brown Act, known as the Open Public Meeting Law
- Maintains custody of, and affixes, the City Seal to legal documents and administers the Oath of Office to newly elected Council members
Statute & Municipal Code ResponsibilitiesThe City Clerk performs various professional and managerial duties according to Statute and Municipal Code. These responsibilities include:
- Prepare City Council meeting agendas and minutes.
- Publish public notices.
- Process liability claims.
- Maintain the Orinda Municipal Code.
- Conduct municipal elections.
- Serve as the Local Filing Officer for financial disclosure records submitted by public officials pursuant to the Fair Political Practices Commission.
- Administer the City's Conflict of Interest Program.
- Administer Board and Commission recruitments.
- Maintain all official City records such as ordinances, resolutions, and contracts.